Wednesday, April 2, 2008


Ravelry.com is the greatest website ever!
I haven't blogged at all since getting sucked into Ravelry. There are some fascinating threads on there.

First was the thread started by a ravelr named bbcaddict about an ebay seller named Yarnbow. The whole thread was just fascinating to read. It filled my days while the writers' strike went on.

Next I've been sucked into the Mystical Creation Yarns thread. the thread is now over 4000 posts. Reading about Mystical Creation Yarns has been better than reading a mystery novel.


Anyway here is my yarn thought of the day.

What makes one skein of 100% merino cost only $4 for 200+ yards and another skein cost $11 for 140 yards? both are lovely yarns. And I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm just trying to work it out in my head what makes the green yarn one the left cost 5 times the brown yarn? The green one is Morehouse merino. It is a lovely yarn. And if I won the lottery it would be my yarn of choice for many projects. The brown yarn is Paton's Classic Merino. It is an odd yarn. Found among the riff raff that normally inhabit the bins at the mega box craft stores it is actually quite a nice yarn. Whenever I see it at Micheal's or JoAnn's I'm always puzzled by its presence. It is a very very nice yarn. I have no trouble substituting it for Ella Rae Classic, Cascade 220 or other lys yarns. There is no other yarn by Paton's or sold by Micheal's that I would ever use.

No comments: